As we look ahead to 2024 it is time for the Nominations Committee (our current Board of Directors) to prepare a Slate of Board Officers for the Membership’s consideration. If you would like to play a role in the leadership of Move Colorado, please contact us, no later than October 20, to share your interest with the Nominating Committee.
The Chair of Move Colorado’s Board of Directors works with the Executive Director and other staff to ensure the sound management of the organization and its effectiveness in meeting its mission. Duties may include:
- Presiding at Board meetings, after developing the agenda with the Executive Director.
- Discussing issues confronting the organization with the Executive Director.
- Encouraging Board’s role in strategic planning and annual evaluation.
- Helping guide and mediate Board actions with respect to organizational priorities and governance concerns.
- Reviewing with the Executive Director any issues of concern to the Board.
- Monitoring financial planning and financial reports with the Treasurer and staff.
- Playing a leading role in fundraising activities.
- Leading the formal evaluation of the Executive Director’s performance and informally evaluating the effectiveness of the Board members.
- Appointing the chairpersons of committees, in consultation with other Board members and the Executive Director.
- Serving ex officio as a member of committees and attending their meetings when invited.
The Vice Chair of Move Colorado’s Board of Directors supports the Chair and is slated as the successor to the Chair position. Duties may include:
- Performing Chair responsibilities when the Chair cannot be available (see Chair Job Description)
- Working closely with the Chair and other staff.
- Participating closely with the Chair to develop and implement officer transition plans.
The Secretary of Move Colorado’s Board of Directors ensures the smooth operations of the Board with the support of the Executive Director and other staff. Duties may include:
- Working with staff to manage and maintain records.
- Developing a familiarity with the organization’s legal documents (articles, by-laws, IRS letters, etc.) to note applicability during meetings.
- Reviews and approves all Board meeting notes.
The Secretary of Move Colorado’s Board of Directors ensures the financial health of the organization with the support of the Executive Director and other staff. Duties may include:
- Working with staff to prepare and present financial reports at Board meetings and communicating effectively with the Board about financial issues
- Engaging in annual budget process with support from Executive Director and other staff.
- Ensuring development of financial policies and procedures.
- Reviewing annual audit and presenting it to the Board.
- Chairing the Finance Committee.
Move Colorado Board Members work with each other, Board Officers, and staff to provide leadership and strategic governance to the organization and its activities.
- Represent Move Colorado to stakeholders and act as an ambassador for the organization.
- Attend a minimum of 75 percent of monthly Board Meetings (9 of 12).
- Serve on a minimum of one committee or task force, and/or take on special assignments.
- Work in good faith with staff and other board members as partners to develop, plan and achieve our organizational goals.
- Assist in the recruitment of members and other revenue generating activities.
- Approve Move Colorado’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; be informed of, and meet all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Review the Executive Director’s performance annually/consideration of contract renewal.
- Assist the Executive Director and Board Chair in identifying new Board Members.
- Attend monthly membership meetings in person whenever possible; ensure Move Colorado’s good reputation within my organization and expedite the approval and payment of membership dues.
- Monthly Board of Directors meeting (60 minutes, third Tuesday of the month at 3:30 PM)
- Executive Committee meeting (Chair, Vice Chair, Past Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer only; as called by the Chair)
- Each Executive Committee member is expected to serve on at least one committee